At Woodchurch Road Academy, we teach our R.E. lessons using the Discovery RE scheme by Jigsaw. The RE Discovery scheme focuses on an enquiry-based learning which encourages children to question whilst feeding their curiosity. With our current world affairs and the diversity of our school and the UK, the scheme allows children to learn about the different faiths, cultures and practices using bank of authentic resources. It also gives practitioners the confidence to teach all faiths and religion.
Religious Education has a significant role in developing pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development. It promotes respect and open-mindedness towards others with different faiths and beliefs and encourages pupils to develop their sense of identity and belonging through self-awareness and reflection. It also allows children to investigate and reflect on some of the most fundamental questions asked by people. The principle aim of Religious Education (RE) is to engage pupils in an enquiry approach where they can develop an understanding and appreciation for the expression of beliefs, cultural practices and influence of principle religions and worldviews in the local, national and wider global community.
RE is a vitally important component of children’s personal, social and spiritual development. Developing an understanding of their own and others’ worldviews underpins the growth of empathy and respect. Appreciating that we all see the world through the lens that has been formed by our experiences, upbringing, culture etc and that this influences our decision-making and our own way of seeing the world is so valuable.
Our aim is to give our children authentic experience of different religions, visits from members of different faith representatives and celebrations of different faith through whole school assemblies and class visits, will allow our children to gain a positive and true experience of other religions, faiths, practices and beliefs. We hope to instil love, respect, tolerance and fearless thinking so that children can take their knowledge beyond school life and into the everchanging world.
At Woodchurch Road, we develop our children’s knowledge and understanding of the major world faiths. We enable children to develop a sound knowledge not only of Christianity but also of other world religions, especially those that are the main faiths of children within our school. Children reflect on what it means to have a faith and to develop their own spiritual knowledge and understanding. We help the children to learn from religions as well as about religions.
By using the RE Discovery scheme we aim for our pupils to:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the nature of religion and belief and the important contribution of religious and spiritual insights and values to the individual’s search for meaning in life, whilst acknowledging that this may also come from a non-religious perspective.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of all principal religions during their time at Woodchurch Road as well as the beliefs represented in Great Britain, both through their history and their contemporary diverse expressions.
- Develop interest in and enthusiasm for the study of religion and beliefs and enhance their own spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
- Develop the ability to make reasoned, informed and creative responses to religious and moral issues.
- Recognise the influence of beliefs, values and traditions on the individual, on culture and on communities throughout the world.
- Develop critical, evaluative thinking skills which are crucial skills for pupils both now and in their futures beyond education.
Teaching and learning is monitored through learning walks, book looks, pupil voice through school council and cross-school moderations. We want to ensure consistency across year groups and build on children's knowledge and experience as they progress through school and beyond.